Thornton, Barbara Mitchell, Collection
Collection — Container: M1982-26
Scope and Contents
Collection including correspondence, 1846-1854, of W. H. DeForest written from New Orleans (1846-1849) and San Juan de Nicaragua [Grey Town or San Juan del Norte, Nicaragua] (1851) with descriptions of area, life, and business plans, and a diary (1860), writer unknown, mostly concerning Mobile, Alabama. [14 pieces]
- Created: 1846-1854
- Other: Date acquired: 04/13/1983
- Thornton, Barbara Mitchell (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Source of Acquisition
Mrs. Barbara Mitchell Thornton, Pensacola, Florida, April 13, 1983
- DeForest, W. H.--Correspondence.
- Diaries--Alabama--Mobile. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mobile (Ala.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La.)--Description and travel. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- San Juan del Norte (Nicaragua)--Description and travel. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thornton, Barbara Mitchell.
- Thornton, Barbara Mitchell, Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description