Bruce, William George, Papers
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of a diary of a trip south, 1921, and a scrapbook, 1881-1978, of William George Bruce, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin businessman and Pensacola, Florida shipyard owner. The diary documents Mr. Bruce's trip to New Orleans and Pensacola, including the Pensacola Navy Yard, and the Bruce, Ollinger, and Watson families, with photographs. The scrapbook covers newspaper clippings, especially family marriages and deaths, for Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Pensacola, Milton, Bagdad and Blackwater, Florida. Subjects include poetry, yellow fever, race problems, and the Blackwater Academy. A separate index ia available.
There are additional collections available pertaining to the Watson, Bruce, and Johnson families.
Negatives of the photographs in the diary are filed with photographic negatives under collection number M1985-10.
- created: 1881-1978
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1985
- Bruce, William George (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
photocopied from original diary and scrapbook loaned by Martin Bruce, 1985
- Bruce, William George, 1856-1949. (Person)
- Watson family. (Person)
- Bruce family. (Person)
- Ollinger family. (Person)
- Blackwater Academy. (Organization)
- Pensacola Navy Yard (Fla.) (Organization)
- Ellis family--Genealogy. (Family)
- Davis family. (Person)
- Moehring family. (Person)
- St. Michael's Church--Clergymen. (Organization)
- Mallory, Stephen Russell, 1848-1907. (Person)
- Voss family. (Person)
- Bruce, Wallace. (Person)
- Chaffin family. (Person)
- Cawthon family. (Person)
- Bruce Dry Docks. (Organization)
- Bagdad Dry Docks. (Organization)
- Ferguson family. (Person)
- Crenshaw family. (Person)
- Fabry family. (Person)
- Johnson family--Genealogy. (Family)
- Harvey family. (Person)
- Rosasco, Mrs. Peter. (Person)
Genre / Form
- Death notices--Florida.
- Death notices--Wisconsin--Milwaukee.
- Diaries--Louisiana--New Orleans.
- Bruce, William George, Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note