Burrow, Dorothy, Papers
Scope and Contents
Personal papers, 1840-1979, including records as a student, 1916-1919; as a teacher at Pensacola High School, 1928-1967; memorabilia and letters about life at Florida State College for Women, 1919-1923; summer studies at Columbia, 1929; the University of Virginia, 1938; and the University of Wisconsin, 1930. Includes considerable family records of her parents, John McMillan Burrow and Nelle Agnes Barrington Burrow and other relatives including the Anderson, Burrow, Cresap, Pyle, and Vaughn families of Pensacola; the Barrington, Burrow, Conner families of Wabash, Indiana; and the Medbury and Phillips families of St. Mary's, Ohio.
Subject files include the First Presbyterian Church, Pensacola, 1917-1959, and the hurricanes of 1906 and 1926. Of special note are the letters of two brothers and a nephew of their studies at Annapolis Naval Academy (1920s, 1930s, and 1950s) and subsequent correspondence about life in the Navy, especially the Naval destroyer accident in 1938.
Additional items include a collection of paper dolls, 1910-1918, mostly from the Ladies Home Journal, and small collections of Christmas, Valentine, and Easter greeting cards, 1890s-1950.
- created: 1840-1979
- Other: Date acquired: 07/00/1983
- Burrow, Dorothy (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Arrangement is chronological.
Source of Acquisition
Ann Lett, Pensacola, Florida, from the estate of Dorothy Burrow, July 1983
- Burrow, Dorothy, 1902-1980. (Person)
- Pensacola High School. (Organization)
- Florida State College for Women. (Organization)
- Columbia University. (Organization)
- University of Virginia. (Organization)
- University of Wisconsin. (Organization)
- Burrow, John McMillan. (Person)
- Burrow, Nelle Agnes Barrington. (Person)
- Anderson family. (Family)
- Burrows family. (Family)
- Burrow family. (Family)
- Conner family. (Family)
- O'Connor family. (Family)
- Cresap family. (Family)
- Pyle family. (Family)
- Vaughan family. (Family)
- Vaughn family. (Family)
- Barrington family. (Family)
- Medbury family. (Family)
- Phillips family--Genealogy. (Family)
- First Presbyterian Church (Pensacola, Fla.) (Organization)
- United States Naval Academy. (Organization)
- United States. Navy. (Organization)
- Burrow, Nellie Linn. (Person)
- Saint John's Cemetery, Pensacola (Fla.) (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Christmas cards.
- Easter cards.
- Greeting cards.
- Paper dolls--United States.
- School records--Florida--Pensacola.
- Valentine cards.
- High school students--Florida--Pensacola.
- Women college students--Florida.
- Women teachers--Florida--Pensacola.
- Burrow, Dorothy, Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note