Pensacola-Tallahassee Diocesan Council of Catholic Women Records
Scope and Contents
Records, 1939- , including newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, photographs, and other records of the organization. Records cover history of the Council including Diocese changes and organizational changes of the Council as a part of the Mobile Diocese (to 1954), the Mobile-Birmingham Diocese (1955-1968), the St. Augustine Diocese (1969-1975), and the creation of the Pensacola-Tallahassee Diocese in 1976.
Subjects include the National Council of Catholic Women, the Florida Council of Catholic Women, the International Year of the Woman (1976) and related DCCWs in other West Florida towns.
Many of the materials also cover the history of various Catholic churches and parishes, their priests, and activities in the community. Includes materials about Maria Von Trapp's appearance at the 1961 Mobile-Birmingham annual meeting, and a photograph of Mother Teresa taken at the 1976 meeting. Subjects include abortion and the Equal Rights Amendment.
Photographs include state and national DCCW meetings, presenters of Burse, 1976-1988; 1st meeting of Pensacola-Tallahassee DEEW; Northwestern Deanery; First Cathedral Deanery meeting, 1986.
Scrapbooks of the organization include newspaper clippings, photographs, and other materials. Earliest scrapbooks are in priority need of microfilming, with deterioration of pages, clippings, and presence of tape.
- created: 1939-
- Other: Date acquired: 09/00/1988
- Pensacola-Tallahassee Diocesan Council of Catholic Women (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Diocesan Council, Mrs. John Geist and Mrs. Elaine S. Sheppard, September 1988
- Catholic Church. Diocese of St. Augustine. Council of Catholic Women. (Organization)
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Mobile. Council of Catholic Women. (Organization)
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Mobile-Birmingham. Council of Catholic Women. (Organization)
- National Council of Catholic Women (U.S.) (Organization)
- Florida Council of Catholic Women. (Organization)
- Trapp, Maria Augusta. (Person)
- Teresa, Mother, 1910-1997--Photographs. (Person)
- Pensacola-Tallahassee Diocesan Council of Catholic Women Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note