Franklin, Samuel R. (Admiral), Journal
Scope and Contents
Manuscript journal covering the commissioning and voyage of the U.S.S. Pensacola, April 1885-August 1887. Covers European and Mediterranean trips with newspaper clippings from the Baltimore Sun about trip.
Journal covers pp. 3-135; newspaper clippings, 200-224; all other pages blank.
- Created: 1885-1887
- Other: Date acquired: 10/00/1982
- Franklin, Samuel R. (Admiral) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Users should cite the source as the New York Historical Society from a copy at the University of West Florida.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
purchased from the New York Historical Society, October 1982
- Admirals--United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Europe--Description and travel. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franklin, Admiral Samuel R.
- Journals (accounts). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pensacola (Screw steamer).
- Sun (Baltimore, Md.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy--Foreign service--Europe.
- United States. Navy--Foreign service--Mediterranean Region.
- Voyages and travels. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franklin, Samuel R. (Admiral), Journal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note