Florida Land Office Records
Scope and Contents
Land records, plat maps, proceedings, papers, correspondence.
This collection consists of microfilm of land records of the Surveyor General's Office for East and West Florida, starting from 1781. It includes plat maps of Lake Okeechobee shoreline, dating 1913-1915, The Forbes Purchase, private land claims, 1855-1858, the American State Papers on Public Lands, the proceedings of the Land Commissioners, 1822-1824, with records of British and Spanish land claims, and correspondence of the Surveyor General's Office, 1825-1848. Some subjects or persons relevant to this collection include the Florida Everglades, Lord John Nisbet, Apalachicola Land Company, J. P. Williams, Carrabelle, Florida, Andrew Jackson, The Carrera Grant, Colonel Robert Butler, Romeo Lewis, Fort Barrancas, St. Michael's Catholic Church, San Carlos de Barrancas, and Joseph Caro.
NOTES: Some confusion in titles between box labels, microfilm targets, typescript targets, and actual records are discernible. Study inventory carefully.
The following reels of microfilm were copied from records in the Florida Department of Natural Resources. A study of the reels shows some discrepancies in the titles as given on the box labels, on handwritten targets on the film, on typed targets on the film, and the actual records themselves. For cataloging purposes, each reel is carefully annotated so that the user may identify the reel by box label or location on the film. Label means box label. Target means a handdrawn sheet on the film. Typed target is a typed sheet on the film. Mss. target is a target on the film which was probably the original "title page" of the item being filmed. Mss. means the manuscript records or books being filmed.
- created: 1781-1931
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1985
- Florida Land Office (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
purchased from Florida Department of Natural Resources, 1985
- Florida. Office of the Surveyor General--Correspondence. (Organization)
- Nisbet, John, Lord. (Person)
- Williams, J. P. (Person)
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845. (Person)
- Butler, Robert, Colonel. (Person)
- Lewis, Romeo. (Person)
- Caro, Joseph. (Person)
- Apalachicola Land Company. (Organization)
- St. Michael's Catholic Church (Pensacola, Fla.) (Organization)
- Ante-Bellum Florida, 1845-1861.
- Carrabelle (Fla.)--History--19th century.
- Carrera Grant (Fla.)--History--19th century.
- Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865.
- Economics and Society: Post-Civil War Florida, 1865-1913.
- European Discovery and Settlement in Florida, 1492-1821--British Florida, 1763-1783.
- European Discovery and Settlement in Florida, 1492-1821--The Second Spanish Period, 1783-1821.
- Everglades (Fla.)--Maps.
- Florida During World War I, 1914-1918.
- Forbes Purchase, Fla., 1804-1835.
- Fort Barrancas (Fla.)--History--19th century.
- Land grants--Florida.
- Land titles--Florida.
- Land titles--Great Britain--Colonies.
- Land titles--Spain--Colonies.
- Okeechobee, Lake (Fla.)--Maps.
- Public lands--Florida.
- Real property--Florida.
- Spanish Florida claims.
- Territorial Florida, 1821-1845.
- Florida Land Office Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note