Rivera, Joseph Pedro de, Manuscript
Scope and Contents
Manuscript report November 2, 1723, concerning conditions in Escambia Bay (St. Maria de Galve) and St. Joseph Bay, describing the state of affairs with the Indians, and suggesting the means of fortifying these positions for continued Spanish colonization; mentions of Punta de Siquenza. With typescript translations of this document and of Rivera's 1744 report.
Additional information on Rivera may be found in Dr. William S. Coker's translation of the 1744 report, published by the Pensacola Historical Society.
- Created: 1723
- Other: Date acquired: 03/00/1990
- Rivera, Joseph Pedro de (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Permission to photocopy required from Special Collections Librarian. Quotations from or use of the manuscript in any way must cite ownership as John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchase, March 1990
- Escambia Bay (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida--History--Spanish colony, 1565-1763. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America--Florida. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports--Florida. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rivera, Pedro de, 1664?-1744.
- Saint Joseph Bay (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rivera, Joseph Pedro de, Manuscript
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note