Collection — Container: M1966-01
Scope and Contents
Correspondence and business papers, 1793-1915, primarily relating to John Innerarity (1783-1854), of Pensacola, attorney for the firm of Panton, Leslie and Company, and his son-in-law, Dr. Isaac Hulse (1797-1856), Chief Surgeon, West Indies Squadron, U.S. Navy. Includes letters of John Leslie, John Forbes, Alexander McGillivray, James Innerarity, Thomas Jefferson, J. K. Paulding, and Thomas Forbes. The emphasis of the collection is on the Florida frontier until ca. 1850, with notes relating to the Panton, Leslie and Company, Indian affairs, slavery, yellow fever, and the Pensacola Navy Yard. A smaller group of documents, ca. 1870-1910, relate to the efforts of Dr. Hulse's daughter, Mrs. Emily Hulse Taylor, to secure title to lands of the Apalachicola Land Company.
- Created: 1793-1915
- Other: Date acquired: 06/26/1966
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
1.31 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Family correspondence and business papers, 1799-1915, relating to John Innerarity, of Pensacola, attorney for the firm of Panton, Leslie and Forbes; and Dr. Issac Hulse, Chief Surgeon, West Indies Squadron, U. S. Navy.
Source of Acquisition
Mr. Francis W. Taylor
Method of Acquisition
- Forbes, John, 1769-1823--Correspondence.
- Hulse, Isaac (1796-1856)
- Hulse, Isaac, 1797-1856.
- Indians of North America--Florida. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Innerarity, James--Correspondence.
- Jefferson, Thomas
- Leslie, Robert, 1758?-1798--Correspondence.
- McGillivray, Alexander, ca. 1740-1793--Correspondence.
- Panton, Leslie and Company.
- Paulding, J. K.
- Pensacola (Fla.)--Slavery Subject Source: Local sources
- Pensacola (Fla.)--Yellow Fever. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pensacola Navy Yard (Fla.)
- Taylor, Emily Hulse
- Innerarity-Hulse Papers
- Stephanie Johnson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note