Howard, James William, Diary
Scope and Contents
Typescript transcript diary, 1861-1913, detailing his life as a member of the 9th Arkansas Volunteers, Confederate States of America and life after the war in the South and his religious life as a Baptist minister for churches in Arkansas and Georgia. The diary details much of the discipline and punishment in the army camps, and from 1865 to 1913, his courtship and marriage, life in Georgia and Arkansas after the Civil War, and his later years as a businessman, minister, and citizen in Columbus, Georgia. A section on "religious life" describes his church activities in Arkansas; Auburn, Alabama; Brownsville, Georgia; and as a traveling minister.
Includes additional notes and genealogy by Ethel Knight Baker, (1863) and photocopies of photographs.
- created: 1861-1913
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1982
- Howard, James William (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
photocopied from loan of Elizabeth Baggett, 1982
- Confederate States of America--Army--Arkansas Infantry Regiment, 9th. (Organization)
- Confederate States of America--Army--Military life. (Organization)
- Baker, Ethel Knight. (Person)
- Howard, James William (1839-1930). (Person)
Genre / Form
- Columbus (Ga.).
- Columbus, Georgia--Description--1870-1913.
- Clergy--Southern States.
- Soldiers--Confederate States of America.
- Howard, James William, Diary
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note