University of West Florida. University Advancement. Commencement Records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Office of University Advancement consisting of Commencement files, 1968- . Files include materials on commencement planning, the University Marshal, academic traditions and regalia, publications and programs, speeches, photographs, materials about speakers, and related papers. Key personal names include Richard Nixon, Lawton Chiles, John C. Pace, Mary Firestone Baars, J. Patrick Moynihan, Malcolm B. Johnson, Gloria Jahoda, James B. Wilson, Dean Rusk, Eudora Welty, Governor Reubin O. Askew and Bob Graham, Lawrence W. Tyree, Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, James V. Buchli, Sam J. Ervin, John Brademas, Jerry L. Maygarden, Arthur V. Doerr, Jack and Carolyn Fleming, Nancy Gilliam, H. Lawrence Garrett III, Harold B. Crosby, James A. Robinson, and Morris L. Marx. Topics include history of the University, honorary degrees, the Corpus Christi, Panama City, and Eglin campuses of the University, special materials on the number of graduates (10,000th, etc.), and handling of student demonstrations during the Vietnam War.
NOTES: Users should read the Scope Notes/Explanation sheet before using the collection. Most commencement programs carry a cumulative list of honoraree degrees/keynote speakers of past years, but these may not be all-inclusive of all speakers at each graduation.
SCOPE NOTE: The original division of University Relations and its Office of Information Services were charged by the President's Office with organizing and coordinating each University commencement. From the early days, the Office of University Relations and the President's Office were physically located next to each other in Building 10; this led to some centralizing and sharing of files. This has continued to present day (June 1996) although the division today is known as University Advancement.
Each of these Commencement files contain materials concerning the planning, organizing, and completion of each commencement. To various degrees, each file contains copies of invitations, photographs, letters and correspondence of both University officials, guests, degree honorarees, and commencement speakers; copies of addresses and speeches, including alumni speakers; and copies of honorary degrees. Special notes on additional items are found in the annotations on the inventory.
At least one copy of each Commencement Program is in each file. Special Collections has combined its existing set of Commencement Program duplicates with this collection, retaining one copy (a reference set) in the University Archives vertical files.
Note: there is no automatic mechanism for Special Collections to acquire commencement programs, and not all files in this collection include a copy. Since 1981, Special Collections has gotten copies through on-site acquisition by volunteer usher Judy DeBolt except for those commencements that she has missed. Other copies turn up in the Publications Office job order files where samples have been attached to work orders and dummy workups for typesetting.
- created: 1968-
- Other: Date acquired: 06/12/1996
- University of West Florida (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Office of University Advancement, June 12, 1996
- Wilson, James B. (Person)
- Welty, Eudora. (Person)
- United Nations--Relations--United States. (Organization)
- University of West Florida. University Relations. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Students--Commencements. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Panama City Campus. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Honorary degrees. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Eglin Center--Commencements. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Corpus Christi Center. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Commencements. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Aeronautical Systems--Commencement. (Organization)
- Tyree, Lawrence W. (Person)
- Rusk, Dean. (Person)
- Romeiko, Elizabeth Paulette Wright. (Person)
- Robinson, James A., 1932- (Person)
- Pensacola Junior College--Commencements. (Organization)
- Pace, John C. (Person)
- Nixon, Richard. (Person)
- Navy--United States--Secretaries. (Organization)
- Moynihan, J. Patrick. (Person)
- Maygarden, Jerry L. (Person)
- Mascarehas, Lilian. (Person)
- Marx, Morris. (Person)
- Kirkpatrick, Jeane J. (Person)
- Johnson, Malcolm B. (Person)
- James, Daniel 'Chappie'. (Person)
- Jahoda, Gloria. (Person)
- Graham, Bob. (Person)
- Gilliam, Nancy. (Person)
- Garrett, H. Lawrence, III. (Person)
- Fleming, Carolyn. (Person)
- Fleming, Jack. (Person)
- Ervin Sam J., Jr. (Person)
- Doerr, Arthur V. (Person)
- Crosby, Harold Bryan, 1918- (Person)
- Chiles, Lawton, 1930-1998. (Person)
- Buchli, James V. (Person)
- Brademas, John. (Person)
- Baars, Mary Firestone. (Person)
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928- . (Person)
Genre / Form
- Astronauts--United States--Buchli, James V.
- Newspaper editors--Florida--Pensacola.
- Statesmen--United States.
- Vietnam War.
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975--Protest movement.
- University of West Florida. University Advancement. Commencement Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note