University of West Florida. Libraries. Director of Libraries Records (1965-1986)
Scope and Contents
Administrative records, 1966-1985 and Correspondence files, 1965- ,of the office of Director of Libraries including correspondence and subect files pertaining to the development and administration of the John C. Pace Library. Includes files of the first Director (1965-1986), James A. Servies, including materials when he was at the College of William and Mary. Subjects and correspondents include development of Special Collections, correspondence with researchers and donors, the library building and expansion, policy development, and relations with Lois Maxon, Odell Griffith, Feubin Askew, and others.
OFFICE: DIRECTOR OF LIBRARIES
The first Director of Libraries, James Albert Servies, was appointed to the position on March 1, 1966 and served until his retirement on April 1, 1986 whereupon he was named librarian Emeritus.
During the search for the new director, David H. Doerrer, Assistant Director for technical Services, served as Acting Director, From April 1, 1986-August 1, 1987.
Dr. P. Grady Morein was appointed Director of Libraries in August 1987.
- created: 1965-1986
- Other: Date acquired: 06/00/1987
- University of West Florida (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers, dependent on our compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, HIPPA requirements, donor agreements and other applicable state and federal statutes. Occasionally we may need to review a collection before permitting immediate access.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital photography, scanning, and photocopying of materials is prohibited. Permission may be granted by the Special Collections Librarian for such reprography dependent on issues of copyright, ownership, condition, donor agreements, etc. In general, staff do not make reproductions of copyright materials or materials for which title is not owned by the institution. Recent revisions in the U.S. Copyright Law extended the copyright of correspondence, letters, and other personal papers to the life of the author plus seventy years.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
transfer from Director of Libraries Office, June 1987
Addition, February 1989
- Maxon, Lois, 1910-1982. (Person)
- Griffith, Odell. (Person)
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928- . (Person)
- John C. Pace Library. (Organization)
- University of West Florida--Libraries. (Organization)
- College of William and Mary. (Organization)
- John C. Pace Library. Special Collections Dept. (Organization)
- Servies, James Albert. (Person)
- University of West Florida. Libraries. Director of Libraries Records (1965-1986)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note